In this blog post, the team at Premier Practice have compiled industry data on the number of chiropractors in Australia and the status of the industry. Do you want to know how many chiropractors are in Australia? Please read on as we summarise our findings.
Status of the Industry
The chiropractic profession in Australia is well positioned. It is experiencing growing demand due in part to Australia’s ageing population. The profession is experiencing strong revenue growth. The efficacy of both chiropractic and osteopathy has become more widely accepted. Insurance companies are increasingly paying out benefits for chiropractic treatment.
The industry is comprised primarily of sole proprietors or practitioner partnerships with administrative staff. There is a low level of market share concentration with no operator accounting for over 5% of industry revenue.
- Revenue: $1bn
- Annual Growth Rate (2011-2016): 5.3%
- Employment: 13.421
- Number of Businesses: 4,885
Number of Chiropractors in Australia
According to the Chiropractic Board of Australia, there are 4,875 practising and 292 non-practising chiropractors in Australia as of June 2016.
In terms of registration by age group, the 25-29 age cohort contains the highest number of chiropractors (821) followed in second place by the 30-34 age cohort (773). The highest number of non-practising chiropractors falls in the 35-39 age cohort (57).
Australian chiropractors are five year university trained health professionals.
As of September 2016, there were four Australian universities offering chiropractic degree programs. They are:
- RMIT University in Mebourne
- Macquarie University in Sydney
- Murdoch University in Perth
- Central Queensland University in Mackay, Brisbane and Sydney.
- IBISWorld ‘Chiropractic and Osteopathic Services in Australia: Market Research Report’ May 2016. Accessed October 2016. http://www.ibisworld.com.au/industry/default.aspx?indid=620
- Chiropractic Board of Australia ‘Chiropractic Registrant Data June 2016’ Accessed October 2016. http://www.chiropracticboard.gov.au/About-the-Board/Statistics.aspx